Members of the Winsted Fire Department put out a fire at 123 Wetmore Avenue on Friday, Feb. 26. Photo by Robert Goodwin.
Members of the Winsted Fire Department put out a fire at 123 Wetmore Avenue on Friday, Feb. 26. Photo by Robert Goodwin.
Advertisement

Photo by Robert Goodwin

WINSTED — According to Fire Marshal Steven Williams, a fire that started on the porch of 123 Wetmore Avenue on Friday, Feb. 26 was accidentally caused by a lit cigarette.
According to Williams, the fire started on the porch, went through the second floor of the building, and up to the roof.
The Winsted Fire Department responded to the fire, along with Winchester, New Hartford, and Pleasant Valley fire departments, ith Riverton Fire Department on standby.
According to Winsted Fire Department Chief James Lagasse, when the department arrived there was still one person inside of the house, but bystanders got her out of the house via the back door.
“The main fire was knocked down very quickly, but then we had to do an overhaul to make sure that the fire didn’t extend into the walls,” Lagasse said. “From start to finish, it went out very quickly.”
Williams said that the owner of the house was the person who was inside the building during the start of the fire.
“She had no injuries from the fire, but they did take her to the hospital because she lost her oxygen supply up in her bedroom,” Williams said. “They brought her to the hospital because she needed oxygen.”
Williams said that the house itself is currently not habitable, but it can be repaired.
He said the house sustained fire damage on the porch, the first, and second floors.
Lagasse added that the state’s Fire Marshal’s Fire and Explosives unit assisted with the investigation.

Advertisement